Florida Insurance Companies are required by the Office of Insurance Regulation to give their customers policy discounts on premiums for specific Wind Mitigation enhancements to their property. If you are a Florida improved property owner then you are potentially missing out on HUNDREDS & possibly THOUSANDS of dollars of savings on your annual wind insurance premiums!
Insurance Companies that write in FL are required to recognize submitted Wind Inspections (Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form – OIR-B1-1802 – Rev 02/10) by qualified personnel (Certified Building Code Inspector; Certified General, Building, or Residential Contractor with a FL license under Section 489.111 of the FL Statutes; Professional FL Architect or FL Engineer) – and give discounts based on one or more of these construction or mitigation features.
Many homeowners don’t bother to get the inspection done because they believe their “older homes” do not have any “upgrades”. It is very RARE that we inspect a home in the Northwest FL area that doesn’t get a discount! I would estimate that 49 out of every 50 homes we inspect receive a discount!
The 9 features that merit a discount include:
1) Verification of the FL building code that the structure was designed and built to (1994 South FL Building Code or the 2001 Florida Building Code or better will benefit);
2) Verification and inspection of the predominant roof covering installed (1994 South FL Building Code or the 2001 Florida Building Code or better will benefit);
3) Inspection of the roof deck attachment including the size & spacing of nails/screws/adhesives that can certify an uplift of a) 55 psf, b) 103 psf, or c) 182 psf or better (103 psf, 182 psf or stronger will benefit);
4) Inspection of the roof to wall connection on EVERY rafter/truss of a) toe nails, b) clips, c) single wraps, d) double wraps, or e) structural connection (anything better than toe nails will benefit);
5) Determination of the roof geometry – a) Hip Roof, b) Non-Hip Roof, or c) Flat Roof (a Hip Roof with less than 10% of any other roof shape and less than 100 sq ft of flat area will benefit).
6) On a gable roof, the inspection of any gable end bracing that meets the 2001 FL building code or stronger will benefit (currently this credit is not being given by many insurance companies).
7) Verification of the wall construction type – a) wood frame, b) un-reinforced masonry, c) reinforced masonry, or d) poured concrete (reinforced masonry or poured concrete equaling 70% or more of the wall construction will benefit although each company views this differently).
8) The inspection and verification of any Secondary Water Resistance applied to protect the dwelling from water intrusion (currently only a self adhering polymer modified bitumen “peel and stick” or a foam adhesive barrier applied to every seam on the roof deck and applied to each side of every rafter/truss will benefit).
9) Verification and inspection of wind borne debris protection on every exterior opening – including the windows, doors, garage doors, & skylights (Impact Resistant coverings that meet the FL Building Code or Miami-Dade approval will benefit the most. Non Miami-Dade or Non FL Building Code shutters along with plywood/OSB coverings depending on how strong and how it is installed may receive a discount).
One or more of the above qualifying discounts can save a property owner 5% to 82% on their wind insurance premium! Be sure to hire a proven professional that has completed numerous inspections and is qualified to complete the wind inspection form. Prices vary around the state but can range from $75 to $150.
We service these areas:: Tampa, New Port Richey, Port Richey, Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor, Spring Hill, Hudson, Crystal River, Inverness, Pasendena, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Largo, Pinellas Park, Brooksville, Oldsmar, Dunedin, New Tampa, Trinity, Thonotosassa, Safety Harbor, Holiday, Lutz, Carrollwood, Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel, Lithia, Seminole, St Pete Beach, Riverview, Redington, Indian Shores, Weeki Wachee
Copyright © 2015 Affordable Home Inspection